Friday, September 26, 2008

Do You Remember 8-Track Tapes??



Today I was in my Dad's shop and I decided to listen to some music while I was out there. Daddy started out recording on reel to reel tapes, then he went to 8-Tracks, and finally to cassette tapes. He mostly recorded church services or gospel groups who sang at our church. Here's a picture of his old 8-Track recorder/player, along with stacks of tapes. Some of these he recorded, and some he bought.








You probably can't tell from the picture, but I'm listening to Chester & Lester. If you didn't grow up in my house with my dad, you might not know that's Chet Atkins and Les Paul. Ironically, Kirby and I drove from Columbus, Georgia north on I-185 this week, and that highway is called the "Chet Atkins Parkway."


Behind all the 8-Track tapes are stacks of reel to reel tapes (some brand new and never recorded on). I picked one up just to keep it from falling when I moved some of the tapes in front of it and it was marked "Nixon Resigns." I guess I should go through all those tapes and see what other historic moments Daddy might have captured.
Speaking of historic, here's Todd in 1973 enjoying Grandpa's reel to reel tape player. Wonder if he's listening to Chester & Lester??


No comments: