Saturday, March 15, 2008

Random Thoughts

Today was my mother's 83rd birthday. Happy Birthday, Mom!! We all went out to eat at a local drive-in (Janet's) because she wanted chicken livers. The food was great and they always bring you more than you can eat. On the way home, we were talking about being thankful for all the blessings God has given us, so I thought I'd name a few. This is by no means a complete list, but I don't have enough space on the internet to name everything God has blessed me with.

First, my family (both immediate and extended). Kirby, my kids and grandkids, my sisters, my mom & step-dad, my in-laws, all my nieces and nephews and cousins, I am so glad all of them are part of my life.

My uncle has been in the hospital this week, so I am reminded everyday of how healthy my family has been. One of Todd's friends (Heath Gains) died from lukemia when they were both five years old. I spent many days at the hospital with Heath holding his feet in my hands so his legs wouldn't touch the bed because he had sores that hurt. For years, when I bought Todd his size 11 shoes I would think of those little feet and thank God for my beautiful, healthy children.

Speaking of my son, he just changed jobs and everything happened in such a way that he was blessed financially by the company that laid him off and the company that hired him. I pray all the time that God will bless my children spiritually, physically, financially, and emotionally. He just continues to amaze me with answers to this prayer.

As we drove along, we were talking about being thankful for having a decent car to drive (even though my sister and step-dad were complaining that the head rests were poking them in the back - this is the problem with seats that fold into the floor of the Dodge Caravan unless you raise the head rests before you sit down). I thought of the many times in my life when I wasn't sure my car would make it across town (in fact, there were times it didn't), but right now, we have two nice cars still under warranty.

I have a nice new roof over my head and too much food to eat. We have heat all winter and air conditioning all summer, cable TV, internet, and telephone. Yet, we still complain that there is nothing on TV or nothing to do.

I could go on and on, but you get the idea. Today is a good day to be thankful, so give praise to God who is worthy to receive all glory, honor and power. AMEN!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am thankful when I check your blog out now that rat is not the first thing I see. I am thankful that you are my son's in-laws and are a part of our extended family. Nothing better than when a bunch of Alabama rednecks get together with a bunch of West Virginia rednecks. Jake and I talked one time about when they mixed those Alabama genes with those West Virginia genes what would happen. Well I don't think you could ask for more beautiful and smarter kids than Bailey and Maverick.

We love you and are thankful that the Lord put us all together.

Love!!!
Paw & GG