Wednesday, May 28, 2008

10 days on the road and I'm a gonna make it home

tonight. I think in the song it might have been 6 days. I can't believe it's been 10 days since I was here. I guess I should say the fish from my last post were delicious. We bought some fish fry coating that was Louisiana brand and it was so good. I don't know what kind of spices they used in it but I'll certainly buy it again. They've been fishing once since then and didn't get anything.


Today I am all about getting a new cell phone. Our old phone fell or was dropped and the top broke off so we get a signal sometimes and other times we can't get one. We have to wiggle the broken piece and then hold the phone with both hands to keep the top from moving while we are trying to talk. It reminds me of the old days when we had an antenna on the TV and we would try so hard to get a good picture. One of my friends in high school told me she used to sit behind the TV and watch it with a mirror her dad put on a chair in front of it so that she could keep her hand on the antenna and wiggle one of the old tubes. I'm sure most of you don't have any idea what a "tube" looked like. It was a glass dome about the size of a drinking glass with metal plugs coming out the bottom. Several different kinds were plugged into the back of the TV to make it work. I remember my father spending hours replacing tubes when I was growing up. The invention of the transistor is still changing our lives today, but look at how big the first one was!!! Imagine a computer with a few dozen of these inside it. Can anyone say HUGE!!! Forget a laptop. It would have squashed you like a bug.


So, I will appreciate my new cell phone all the more for thinking about how big things used to be!!



No comments: