Saturday, June 21, 2008

Family Reunion

We had our 10th annual "C.D. & Bertha Curry Mullins" family reunion tonight. We usually have a big dinner and play games on Friday night, then have lots of activities and food and entertainment on Saturday night. Several family members dress up like famous people and lipsync to their songs. We've had Dolly Parton, Kenny Rogers, the Judds, the Dixie Chicks, Patsy Cline, the Blues Brothers, the Soggy Bottom Boys, and many others over the years. We always have a good time and great food. This year, because of two recent deaths in the family, we scaled things back and simply had a pot luck dinner at the church fellowship hall. Of course, simple just isn't in the Mullins family vocabulary. We had baked ham, chicken & dumplings, lemon chicken, mac & cheese, green beans, corn casserole, layer salad, pasta salad, potato salad, mashed potatoes, corn bread, rolls, apple pie, coconut cream cake, brownies, bread pudding, and chocolate cupcakes. Am I making you hungry yet? We played a white elephant gift game and, believe it or not, I won a cookbook! I missed having my daughter and her family there, and my son and his family. But bright and early tomorrow morning I'll be on a plane heading to Austin to visit my son and his bunch. I wish I could spend part of the week in El Paso, but I don't think my daughter will be home anyway since this is her week to go to camp.
Here's a picture of my mother and my aunt, Nona, showing off some giant cupcakes that one of my cousins baked. Unfortunately, both of them had pieces cut out and while Mom's is just leaning, Nona's fell over just as I took the picture.

1 comment:

Jen said...

booo...if you had told me 2 weeks ago that you were going to be in TX, then I would've found someone else to go to camp!!! hate we missed the reunion - as mini as it was.