Sunday, June 15, 2008

Ten Things aka Ten Fathers

My daughter does Ten Things Tuesday and lists (oddly enough) ten things she is thankful for on her blog every Tuesday. I have been thinking about a Father's day blog and kept thinking of different fathers that I am thankful for, so I decided a Ten Things type blog was in order.



1. My Heavenly Father. God has richly blessed me and my family. He is my strength, my friend, my comforter, my shoulder to cry on, my redeemer, my protector, my peace . . . well you get the idea. He is my everything and words are not enough to thank Him for who and what he is to me.



2. My Husband, Kirby. He is not my father, nor is he the father of my two children, but he is the man who would move mountains and swim oceans for me and my kids. He constantly urges me to spend time (and money) on my children and grandchildren. Some blended families have jealousy problems, but he usually treats my kids better than he treats his own! And don't even get him started talking about those beautiful, genius grandbabies, Bailey & Maverick!! I'm so glad you came into my life, Babe.

3. & 4. My Dad, Sponcil and my step-dad, Bennie. I did a post on April 17 if you want to read about these two great men. I'll just repeat here that I was very blessed to have them in my life. I'll see you both again someday in that land where we'll never grow old and there will be no sickness or death.

5. My father-in-law, Ed. Kirby and I are so excited every time we get to spend time with his mom and her husband in Texas. We always have so much fun together and Ed always gives us a hug when we leave even though everyone says he isn't one to show his feelings or be very affectionate. We can discuss everything from the Bible to the next door neighbors and anything in between, and Ed always has something funny to say. Thanks for always making time for us, Ed. Happy Father's Day.

6. My son, Todd. My son is a step-dad to four kids, and he is amazing to me. If you spend time with them, you can see the love and respect and trust they have in him. I truly believe that he found his calling in life because these four wonderful kids just needed a foundation to grow on, and he's definitely built for that job!! I love you, son!! Happy Father's day. Can't wait to see you all when I come to Texas.

7. My son in law, Jake. What can I say? He is the father of the two most adorable, most handsome, most brilliant, most incredible little boys you ever saw. I know every grandmother thinks her grandchildren are the best, but I'm not kidding. These boys are not like any other grandchildren!! They really are better looking and smarter. And I've been around a lot of babies in my life. Seriously. Thanks, Jake. Happy Father's day.

8. My ex-husband, Jerry. I know. Weird that I would mention him. I admit he has his short comings (but then who doesn't). I only bring him up because he is the father of my two kids. So I'm giving credit where credit is due. He's still part of their lives and I apreciate what he has done for them over the years.

9. George Washington. Hey, he's the father of our country, isn't he? I've been reading a little about our history lately, and if you haven't read about our founding fathers, you are missing an exciting and fascinating look at some brave and brilliant men. I know, it's not politically correct any more to give any credit to a bunch of "rich, white men" but what they did is nothing short of miraculous. I'm thankful to live in a country where I'm free to think and say what I want, and openly worship God. At least for now. We need to pray for this country and it's leaders or we could lose everything the founding fathers built.

10. Which brings me to our Military dads (like Jake). Thank you for the sacrifices you make for our freedom. Happy Father's day to all you dads who are serving in the military. May God bless you and protect you wherever you are today.

2 comments:

Jen Whisonant said...

That's a pretty great top ten grammy - and for those that I know of - I'd have to agree wholeheartedly. =)

GE is me said...

Very nice post. I think I'd have to agree with it.(not that I know any of them personally, except the 1st one!) And I think it's good that you brought up your children's father as well.
You haven't been out on the road much lately? or just not anything to blog about out there? I know you said you had the blogger blues.
God Bless, -Gail