Friday, June 22, 2007

Barbeque

I just realized that the entire 10 days we were gone this trip I only got on the internet once for a couple of minutes and I didn't add anything to my blog.

For some reason Kirby and I have been hungry for Barbeque this week. We have both eaten at Rudy's and love the sauce and the sides (creamed corn and new potatoes). This week, we stopped at a little ramshackle place called "The Shed" in Ocean Springs, MS off I-10 at exit 57. The building looks like it should be condemned, however, the food was fantastic. I love sausage and chicken, Kirby loves brisket, so we had all three. The sauce was a little too sweet, but still good. Like Rudy's, they serve it with slices of white bread. The potato salad was ok, but the macaroni salad was better. Kirby liked the beans. The place is decorated with hand written signs of all kinds that contain little bits of wisdom and humor. It was fun to sit at the table and read the walls. A lot of people have hung up dollar bills with their names and towns written on them. I don't know if the waitresses got a tip or not, but the walls were covered with cash. Next time we stop, I'm going to take my camera with me.

Having said all that, I come to the real point. We stopped at Famous Dave's tonight and I have to say it is fast becoming our favorite BBQ place. Their sausage is so good it makes my mouth water just thinking about it. They have 5 different sauces ranging from honey mustard mild to so hot you can't eat it. Of course, we like the Texas style!!! It's spicy and sweet (sort of like Rudy's). What makes me go back though is the corn muffins. Melt in your mouth corn muffins.

Rudy's and the Shed share the same style of service. At Rudy's, you get in line, get a tray to carry to your table and get your own drink. At the Shed, you get in line to order, get your own drink and when your food is ready, they come out calling your name and bring it to the table. Famous Dave's is a sit down restaurant where they wait on you and bring you anything you ask for and keep your drink filled for you. Thank you, Dave!!

Jen, there is one in El Paso!!! But you will probably have to call in an order and pick it up (they have a pick up window). I'll bet you wouldn't have to wait in line. http://www.famousdaves.com/

1 comment:

Jen said...

i think we've already been to famous daves. do they do the little 'test the sauces' demo the first time you go? they gave us a basket of bread of some sort and let us test all the sauces. it was good, but not a bailey-friendly restaurant! we went there once when we had free child care on a friday night.