Monday, December 31, 2007

The Party's Over

I've spent two days just sitting around being a little sad. My son and all the kids left on Saturday. It took us about 2 hours to take down the Christmas tree and other decorations and to vacuum up all the glitter and stuff from the floor. After that my house was just too quiet and too clean. Today I'm going to get into the closet and re-pack and re-stack all the Christmas stuff where it will stay until next year (or the year after if we decide putting up a tree is too much trouble).


When we started this process, we were so excited about getting out all the decorations and making the house look festive. When everything was done, my nativity set was placed under the tree in honor of the birth of our Lord. Then a few days later, when I had some packages to put under there, the nativity was moved to a spot beside the entertainment center. Later, as the packages grew, it was placed on an end table. Then, when the kids needed that table for their morning juice while watching cartoons, it went to the dining room table. But of course, the table was needed for playing games, so the nativity ended up on my desk. That didn't last long, because the desk was being used by everyone to check their email and my space pages. Finally, baby Jesus ended up in the kitchen, beside the microwave. My sister looked at it sitting there and commented that there was still no room in the inn.

So, today, as this year comes to a close, and as you ponder my little nativity sitting between the kitchen sink and a bottle of Twistup, resolve to make room in your heart for the baby in the manger, who grew up to be our Saviour and Lord, and who deserves a place of honor in our lives and our hearts and our homes.

2 comments:

Madtoad said...

It made me a little sad just reading that you were sad. We didn't want to leave either. We all love you so much! Thanks mom, you're awesome.

Jen Whisonant said...

Hoping your new year is a blessed one, grammy.