Saturday, January 10, 2009

Busy New Year

It's hard to believe that it's already 10 days into the new year. We've been pretty busy since we left on New Year's Eve. We drove to Cincinnati and picked up a load going to Louisiana. From there we got a load going to Wisconsin. After we delivered that, we went to Chicago to pick up a load going to New Jersey. We had some time to waste waiting for the New Jersey load, so we did two of my favorite things. Number one, we ate at a Chinese buffet. We found a really good place in Joliet that had great food. Across the street was a KMart, so number two - we shopped. I didn't buy a thing after Christmas this year. I didn't really need anything, and when we finally went to WalMart two days after Christmas, the selection was pretty slim. Not so at the KMart in Joliet. We spent almost two hours in the Christmas stuff looking at trees and candles and table settings and ornaments and more. We ended up buying not one, but two Christmas trees!! They are standing in the bunk of my truck right now, so we have to sleep with our feet touching them.
KMart had pre-lit trees with both regular lights and fiber optic lights for $12.50. They are four foot trees and we got a green and a white. You can use both lights at once, or either set you prefer. I can't wait to get home and plug them in. We also got three sets of lights for our front porch. One spells out Merry Christmas and the other two have ribbons and bows to put on either side of the Merry Christmas one. Is it too early to decorate for next year?? I'm really excited to see how these are going to look.

Believe it or not (and I'm sure if you know me you will believe it) we bought some placemats and napkins and napkin rings. I know!! But at 75% off you just can't pass up pretty Martha Stewart placemats. Besides, Kirby was helping me pick them out and he loved these. I'll have to take pictures when I get home. We're going to decorate the table with them for a while even if they are gold and white and Christmasy looking.

I knew after we left I would kick myself for not buying more candles. We picked out some to use at home because we burn candles a lot. But they had some beautiful decorative candles with brass snowflakes on them that I could have used for myself, or even as gifts. I don't know why I didn't get them. At that point our buggy was running over and we still had another aisle to look through, so I guess I got distracted by the wrapping paper and boxes.

I may have to make a trip to our local KMart and see if they have anything left!!

1 comment:

geisme said...

Grammy, Like the blog change. :) The grandbabies' bathroom rocks! Glad you have been safe in your travels thus far this year. My brother, who is also a trucker, actually made it to the east coast the Tu. after Christmas, so I got to see him for dinner. He was telling me about some of the i***t drivers y'all encounter. He usually travels the midwest, so it was nice he made it to NE. Do you get to be on the road longer because there are 2 of you driving?
Stay safe.
-Gail