Tuesday, August 28, 2007

How fast is that again???

I am the proud owner of a new modem and I can't tell you how much difference it has made on my computer. I got this computer Christmas and really couldn't tell much difference between it and my old one, so I just assumed that you could only go as fast as your internet connection and getting a bigger, better computer didn't really matter. Then we got a notice from Suddenlink that they were going to double our internet speed for the same price. I couldn't wait to see how much better it would be, and I was shocked and dismayed to find that, if anything, my computer was slower than ever. The last straw was when I realized that I could get videos and things much faster with a weak wireless signal on my laptop than I could on my super duper home computer with Suddenlink's new faster speed. So I called Suddenlink. And if you have ever called the cable company, you know what that was like. Endless waiting, punching in my phone number several times, explaining my problem to three different people before I got the right one, scheduling a tech to come out two weeks later, etc. But while I was on the phone with them, they had me go to www.speedtest.net and check my download speed. My computer registered 146. The guy on the phone said there was a problem and that it was Suddenlink's problem, not my computer. So, today, the tech shows up and the first thing he tries is checking the signal coming into the house (which was fine), so he switches modems. My download speed on the aforementioned website is now 6386. Was my computer slow or what???? So, now I can actually watch a video without waiting for it to stop and start over and over and over. Wonder how long that modem has been bad and I just didn't know it?

No comments: