Saturday, September 15, 2007

Salsa

You would think as much as Kirby and I love Mexican food that I would have made salsa before, but I never have. I have made a lot of Mexican food over the years, including some delicious guacamole, but for some reason, I always just buy Pace Picante sauce to use with chips. But, today, with three rapidly declining tomatoes in my refrigerator I decided to get out the Cuisinart and see what I could do. I started by cutting up the two red and one green tomatoes and pulverizing them. Kirby and I both prefer our salsa without chunks. Then I added half of an onion that I found in the crisper in a zip lock bag. I had several hot pepper choices, some fresh from somebody's garden and some from a jar. After blending and adding peppers until I thought it tasted about right, I realized that the green tomato had given the whole mixture a strange grayish look. So, I added some red food coloring. Yuck!! Now it was a wierd pinkish color. Then I decided to add some chili powder to see if I could darken it up. Viola!! It looks even redder in the picture then it does in real life.



The sad part of the story is that I chose today of all days to start my "serious" low carb diet. I don't have a tortilla chip, cracker, frito, piece of bread, nothing to try out my salsa on!! Guess I'll go next door and see if I can bum a chip from my sisters.