Monday, August 4, 2008

Don't Throw that Away!!


This post will undoubtedly please my daughter, who has trouble throwing things away. My sister found this in a drawer she was cleaning out and we have been reading over it like it was the rosetta stone or something. You may not be able to tell, but it is a tourist map of St. Augustine, Florida. It has a list of all the sights you might want to visit and shows where they are located. The larger red print says "You May Have this Map with our Compliments."
But the part we are so fascinated with is on the back. My mother wrote down the dates and travel times from our home in WV to a number of cities along the way, and finally to St. Augustine.



We left home at 4:15 pm on Tuesday, June 26, 1956. I was 2 1/2 years old. My three sisters would have been about 8, 10 and 13 years old. According to Mom's records, my dad drove non-stop for 17 hours and 5 minutes. She should work for an airline with arrival times that exact.

My favorite part was the record of gas they bought. They filled up 5 times for a total of $16.23. I'll just bet they were complaining about the high price of gas during the summer vacation months, too.

1 comment:

GE is me said...

I could kill to see gas prices like that! We were just bemoaning the fact here in N.E. that we saw gas @ $3.89/gal. & said "wow, that's a good price!" Who'd have thought that!??
I remember when I graduated from h.s. (24 years ago)that gas was just around a dollar a gallon & considered expensive at that time too. Inflation, inflation, inflation!