Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Trip to (H)EL PASO


Let me start by saying that I would not trade this time with my daughter and her sons for any amount of money, but make me an offer and we'll talk about it. That said, we are on a very long road trip with a 2 year old and a 2 month old. If you ever attempt such a thing, bring plenty of aspirin and a good set of ear plugs. So, as I said, I have spent the last 24 hours with my two grandsons mostly in a car on our way to Fort Bliss in El Paso, Texas. The first night was pretty good since they both slept while we drove and then we got a motel room. Yesterday was an all day drive from Atlanta, GA all the way to Fort Worth, TX. Maverick let us know all day that he wasn't very happy being in a car seat facing backward while Bailey watched videos!! I would buy Maverick a DVD player if I really thought he would watch it. He's only 2 months old, so I'm not sure he would. Anyway, we made it to a motel west of Fort Worth and now we have the added delight of spending the morning with my EX-husband. My cup runneth over!!!
To be honest, it hasn't been that bad. Surprisingly, loading the car before we left with the 700 pounds of stuff (and I know because we weighed it) that was in the basement was harder than driving for boring hours on end with a baby crying in the seat behind you. Or, if you aren't the one driving, you get to sit on a cooler between the back seats and try to comfort a baby who has to stay strapped into a car seat. The funny thing was that when we got in the back seat, the baby was quiet, but Bailey fussed. So we got back in the front seat, and Bailey was happy, but the baby fussed. Next time we'll rent an RV and just camp our way across the country.

No comments: